Wednesday, October 1, 2008

HaNoi - Volunteering


Yes, I know. You haven't heard from me in a while. Sorry, but now that the volunteer program has started, I am very swamped with little free time.

There are 14 volunteers staying at a hotel in HaNoi. There are from all over and I didn't know any of them previously. The team leader is from California. Others are from PN, NC, NY, and CA. I probably forgot some. My roommate is from NY and is still working as a architect. He remings me of somebody from the movie The Godfater or The Sopranos. Every moring we have a short meeting with breakfast. After breakfast, we head off to our teaching sites.

I am with 7 others at a private high school called Nguyen Binh Kiem. I generally have classes per day. These are Eng. classes, either 10th or 11th or 12th grade. Classes are from 30 to 50 in size. Students are excited to see us but that doesn't mean they are always listening. Sometimes, the class reminds me of a normal Am. class with all the talking. I did see a girl passing notes today.

Generally, there are about 3 students in the class that can speak English. The rest are less confident and less capable. If I ask questions, the same students, about 3, want to answer everything. I try to get the other to speak, but it generally takes a lot of time. The students in this school pay about $25 per month to go to school. Some of the students are hoping to work after finishing college, as translators. I did have one set of twin boys in a class yesterday. They were sitting apart, and both volunteering to answer questions, so I thought I was seeing double at first. Ha!! They wear uniforms and start their day at 7 am, finishing at 5 pm, but all that time is not instruction.

For example, one unique thing about this school is that they all take naps after lunch. If you walk around the hall after lunch, you will see the students either sleeping on the floor or on the tops of the desk. Everyone. The school wants us to take a nap too. Maybe I will bring my pillow. Ha!!

The weather is slightly cooler now, so the climate isn't too unbearable while teaching. Our staff room is A/Ced with tv and a computer. It rained yesterday, and they say a big storm is coming but so far, only cloudy today.

We leave for school at 8:15 am and get back to the hotel at 4 pm. After a short rest, we all eat together at a nearby restuarant. Last night one volunteer was knocked down by a bicyclist but he didn't get hurt. The streets are very crowded but I am used to it. Tomorrow night some students are going to come to the hotel after our dinner and take us on a walking tour of the area.

At school, we eat in the cafeteria. Yesterday, I ate with the headmaster and today I had lunch with his son. Heiu, the son, graduated from a university in France, and wants to get his MBA in the U. S. He introduced me to some single teacher in his school. Ha! We are only the second volunteer team from GV to work in HaNoi.

I am sure this isn't that neww worthy. I have been following the financial collapse in the U.S. Who knows what will really happen in the next few months. Also, saw the debate. So trying to keep not be totally out of touch. I have lost one notebook, with some personal information and I don't know if I will find that again. It is bugging me!!

Take care all!! Have a great Day!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we have been wondering what has happened to you!!! You seem to be in the same areas as before but definitely less communication. We know you will have lots of stories to tell when you get home!
You are missing a lot here in the US. Will be interesting to hear what they are saying about us overseas. Obama is in the lead in the polls-thank-goodness!
Ok, this will be a birthday you will remember because of your fabulous trip. Do something special on OCT 9th.
Much love, SIS

sherryvl said...

glad I dropped in to read your blog, been thinking of you, sounds like your busy..Birthday soon and you'll once again be alot older than me..giggle..take care of yourself and enjoy..love u, Sherry

Joya Morena said...

Thanks for sharing your adventrue with us. take care and keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rog,

Happy Birthday - You have been gone a long time. Do you need a ride home from the airport. Let me know. Love, Joan