Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Flew to BuonMaThout

Monday afternoon, Thanh and I took a flight to BMT. After arriving, we went to the Family Guest House, which I had chosen from doing Internet research . I didn't feel as if we had many choices as it was already 7 pm. We waited while they cleaned the room, which I took as a bad sign already. The room looked ok at first glance, the longer I was there, the less I liked though. I spied sugar ants making a trail to an empty yogurt cup. On my mattress, I noticed several small spiders scurrying around. Thanh said he would change with me as they wouldn't bother him. Haha! I know these things shouldn't pain me either, but it bugged me all night. Oh yea, I took a shower which was an ok bathroom except no hot water! The next morning, she told us she forgot to turn on the switch outside. Needless to say, I made my mission the next morning to check out and find something else. I did only pay $8, and it was quiet.

Walking around, we found a mini hotel for $10, looks much cleaner and haven't found any critters yet. Time will tell-tonight is the test.










Walking in BMT is very easy. Not a lot of traffic, wide streets and sidewalks. We walked to the local market. It was raining so I wore my raincoat. There is always produce, meat, flowers, and cooked food. We found a street restaurant to eat Pho, the traditional VNese food. The waitress seemed thrilled to serve me but Thanh said it was not delicious-I couldn't tell.


In the afternoon, we visited the Ethnic Museum. This was nice local museum for the native Mnong and Ede tribes. It also explained everything in English too. There were displays from several local architectural digs.

In walking back to the hotel, I again chose to go "the road not taken"! Wrong! After a long and semi-arduous trek through many winding back streets, we made it back. Now, we could have called for a taxi but we were in no hurry and the exercise did some good.







In the evening, I was invited to Mr. Hung's house. I had met him through some English club via the computer. In 2002, Hung invited me to visit him and his city. He was in college, studying to be a teacher then. He wanted me to stay at his house but the police would not allow it. The irony is now a policeman. His parents were so gracious and so appreciative of my help with Hung's English. This time, even though it had been 8 years now, their hospitality and generosity was great and this is one of the reason that I love Vietnam. We enjoyed a some great home cooked food and I worried about nothing. in 2002, the mom had fixed rabbit and she reminded me of this. The food was washed down with some gut warming brandy, and my glass was constantly being filled! I slept good.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: