Friday, November 5, 2010

PDX- > SEA - > ICN -> SGN

Thanks to Thu, I arrived plenty early for my initial flight out of Portland. Can't say I slept all that good last night even though I was more prepared than usual, just how I am. Checking in with Horizon Airlines was smooth and no line because I was early. I did check two bags and I thought it was going to cost me $15 or $20 for each bag but they didn't charge me anything, which was a pleasant surprise. One checked bag is actually a box of medical things, like bandages, aspirin, denture cleaner, rubber gloves, etc. These are supplies that I will deliver to the area of KonTom via Sister Tan. Most of the supplies were amassed by Thu's family. I am sure they are sorely needed and hopefully I might see some of this need firsthand.

Because I was early and Thu helped me with the extra luggage at check-in, we had time to sit and get my morning fix at Coffee People. Haha! That helped pass the first hour! Thanks Thu for waking up early and getting me off to a smooth start.

The flight to Seattle was full, smooth and on time. In Seattle, I always have a little problem finding signs or people that can direct you to your connecting flight. But I knew I had plenty of time to stumble my way through. I knew I had to ride the train to another terminal but my ticket didn't say which one. Another man helped me. At the bordering gate I had to check in again and show my "visa on arrival letter" to Asiana Airlines. You cannot fly to Vietnam w/o a pre approved visa in your passport but now just get a letter from VN gov't saying I will get my visa when I land in Ho Chi Minh City.

The Asiana flight took off on time. Amazingly, the flight was not full and so the seat next to me was vacant-an unexpected perk for a long flight. This flight to Seoul is over 11 hours and 5,000+ miles. Other passengers are flying to the Philippines, Thailand, and of course Korea. I did met two women who are biking with the Cascade Club from Hanoi to HCM. (that idea really peeked my interest too because would love to do that some day, just can't waited much longer. Hahaha! The airlines begins the flight by giving you slippers and a wonderful steaming warm wet wash cloth to clean your hands and face. In the washroom, there are packaged toothbrushes with toothpaste and mouthwash to use during the flight. Nice! They seem to know how to do it right as they were chosen as Airlines of the year last year..... For the meal I had a choice between Korean food and steak(that is how she phrased it). So of course, I had to try the Korean food: some flavorful broth, rice, dried meat maybe, kimchi, hot pepper paste in a tube, and fruit. i washed that down with some red wine. They serve beer here too, all free.... Now, I will try to catch a few zzzzz's during the lulls of serving food and juice.

Now on my last leg and getting quite runny. Didn't sleep yet-can't seem to ever shut off my mind. This flight will be 5 hours. I thought I might not make this connection because I had less than an hour in transfer time but then the connecting flight was delayed, so all my worrying for nothing.

Shopping must be huge in Korea as most passengers got on with huge shopping bags and this is a full flight.

Arrived in Ho Chi Minh city at 11 pm. After about 35 minutes I was through customs and immigration and in a taxi with Thanh who had come to help me. It is definitely not cold or cool here, so had to run the AC most of the night. But safe and healthy at the moment.





In line in Seattle to Seoul.


Down the deadened alley to my guest house

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you had such pleasant flights and good connections. take care, Love Judy