Tuesday, December 21, 2010

At the School and No Wi Fi

I know I haven't written for a while but my access is very limited here. I need wi fi and they don't have it at the hotel, nor any place else but still looking.



The first day at school, we had a very nice welcome by the staff and headmaster. I think there must have been at least 14 people we were introduced to. (I am with another volunteer , Milt). Many have titles that escape me but at least two were from the "party", and they seem to be the most important. This is a high school and middle school combined. A population of about 2000 and a public school. The meeting lasted about one hour, then we walked to a very nice restaurant for lunch.





At the restaurant, I sat with the headmaster who was very interested in NBA basketball. He doesn't speak English except for a few words, but knew about the Trailblazers. ha!! Some at the table asked me about the economic situation in the U.S. I thought it was a good question. The food was endless and very good. They even served local red wine, which was very good. It might have been the best meal I have ever had in China. They keep wanting to me to eat more. Some food in China can be very spicy. I had another meal later at a restaurant that made my mouth burn so bad that I wasn't sure it was ever going to stop.



The English teachers at the school that we have met all seem very interested in speaking English. Students all take English class, but they mostly teach the grammar and writing, no conversation. We are the first native English speakers the school has ever had.




I am teaching several high school junior classes(ages 16 or 17 years old). Students seem very attentive but can't really speak to you other than "hello" or "good afternoon". The class size is about 25, so not bad and no behavior problems. I see no students with mobile phones in the class and all have the proper school equipment. English teachers have been also attending my classes and say they are learning a lot. mmmm? Teachers here only teach about 16 hours a week, and this is considered full time. The teachers can not teach private classes at home: it is not allowed. We have also had some teacher classes only, which is mostly just talking about life in general.




The weather here remains cool in the morning and evening but sunny during the day, which is good. At night, it is always an adventure to find a decent restaurant to eat at, where we can understand or communicate our needs, and not too expensive. Yesterday, some how we ordered three things and ended up with four dishes. haha! Last night, we did find a good restaurant, but it was more western than Chinese. In the malls here, you can find McDonalds, PapaAldo's, Pizza Hut, and KFC. People here are really leaning towards many western ways. One student told me he he really loves western culture. I see it in there clothing; you would never know by the way they dress that you were in China.



Ok, I know this isn't very earth shaking, or maybe even boring! But that is life now. Take care to all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, NOT YOUR GIFTS.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: