Monday, December 13, 2010

Li River

I spent one day traveling down the LiJang river on a big river boat. I signed up for the 4 hour cruise with English guide at my hostel and joined about 19 others that day. Some other tourists were from Sweden, Austria, South Africa, Malaysia, China, and three of us from USA(CA.). It took us about 30 minutes by bus to get out of town and board the boat to YangShuo.

The Li river originates in northern Guilin and flows 83 KM to Yangshou. It is a winding river among many peaks and limestone mountains. The river reminds you of a ribbon meandering around each peak, albeit not too high of peaks. The river was crystal clear and didn't appear to be that deep. Along the way, the guide tells you about the different imagery that you are suppose to be able to see in the limestone cliffs. For example, in one place, he pointed out the Painted Hill of Nine Horses, and the Female Buddha. You really have to use your imagination a lot of this but I could see "some" of this after looking for a while. Ha!! The Chinese really find imagery in everything. In one particular place on the river, the view the same one that is printed on the back of the 20 RMB bill of Chinese money. Also, it is the view used on Windows 7 computers in Asia.




The weather that day was very misty which is suppose to be better or more in tune with the Chinese mystic view of the area. Along the way some locals living along the the shore, would use a bamboo raft to come out and sell food or some souvenirs. I thought their boat skill was amazing. We were told that all the stuff they were selling was fake even though they might tell you it was real jade.



The tour provides a nice lunch on the boat and I ate with three Chinese men about my age who were traveling to this area for the first time. They didn't speak any English but we communicated through an interpreter or sign language. They gave me some good green tea.



After we arrived in Yangshou, we had an hour to shop( I needed far less time) and then some of us were going on another optional tour. We were all to met in front of the KFC-where else?



About 10 of us, including me, walked to the Dragon Hill bridge, where two commercial movies have been made. I forget the titles now. After that we walked to another shore where we were going to board some small bamboo rafts. This was the part I was not sure of. These rafts are 10 bamboo poles across(I counted!) and now we were going to float or pole down the Yulong river to some water buffalo. Actually, another local was going to be the one pushing the raft with a long pole through the water. I was just to sit in this easy chair and not fall out. Ha!! It proved to be very safe and quite stable. I felt sorry for the guy doing all the work. Along that way, we past a young couple posing for their wedding pictures outside along the shore.




After a bit, we stopped to pose with the friendly water buffalo. Obviously the farmer and the buffalo were used to this but it was a nice photo-op. haha! Back on the raft, we headed back. Now in the middle of this river was a fisherman with his cormorants. These are birds that are trained to catch fish in the river then return to the fisherman. They can't swallow the fish because they tie a rope or string around the neck to keep them from swallowing. Once back to the fisherman, he dislodges the fish and sends them back to find more fish. After some time, the fisherman stops, taking his fish to market to sell. I think they said there are only 6 people allowed to do this now. It was very interesting.



The last little thrill aboard this bamboo raft was going over a small rapids. It was man made and only a short distance , mostly splashing water up over my pants. The harder part was actually getting the raft back over the rapids. I did tip this guy quite a bit as I thought he earned it. I was with my Chinese friend on the raft the whole time.

I don't think my photos are that good. Part of it has to do with the weather, but maybe you get some idea.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: