Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bogota


I flew out of Lima on Sat. at 5:30 pm. Most of the others had left already going to Cusco and Macchu Pichu or the Amazon. Only Dena and her son Adam left after me to fly back to Miami. Somehow the hotel provided us all with transportation to the airport. I thought I was going to have to pay $31 USD departure tax but I didn't, so it must have been included in my ticket somehow. That was a nice surprise but it screwed up my bookkeeping. haha! I had calculated how many sols I needed to get out of the country and no more. Anyone want any Colombian Sols?



After landing in Bogota, it took a while to get through all the red tape because there were so many of us. Took a metered taxi to the hostel. The taxi driver was speedy but he did fine except he couldn't quite find the hostel. Then when he did, I thought he seemed very unsure that it was the right place. There was no sign outside, so I made him wait until I got someone to come to the door. It was the right place. Inside, it is basic, like other places I have stayed with about 6 rooms. The guy that runs it speaks perfect English but now he has left and a woman named Elsie who speaks very little English is here to help me. haha! The other guests are nice, two from England. Right now there is a huge Soccer tournament going on in Colombia so everyone is glued to the TV at night. Colombia lost but they still are watching. This is like the World Cup of South America.



Yesterday, I spent most of the day riding the bus and in the old historic area. The mass transit bus system started in 2001 and uses the long articulated buses. You pay about 1 USD and walk onto a platform that the bus then pulls up too. You need to be fast and just because it looks full, doesn't mean that you shouldn't get on. They are very crowded, so you just have to push. This is the one place that you have to be careful with your things because it would be easy for someone to pickpocket you. After I got off the bus, I got lost several times. Not many people speak English but I can't expect them to. I was trying to find the historic area called La Candelaria. Finally, I got orientated but it took two days.



In the historic area, there is one museum after another. They are all very impressive and you can only do so many without getting "museumed out"!! I did go to quite a few museums the most famous one was the Gold Museum. The Gold Museum might be the best of its kind. There are all kinds of gold displays showing artifacts and how gold was made and used. It is impressive. Three floors with English translations so that was a big help too. And for some reason it was free too. I don't know the reason, maybe because Monday was a holiday, but no one could tell me what the holiday was. They told me they have lots of holidays but no one knows what they celebrate.
Another impressive museum was the money or mint museum. It was huge too with all kinds of history dating back to about 1600 and the making of the first coins for bartering or buying things. Inside was also a huge art display with lots of different painters' works displayed. If I was more of art expert, I would have appreciated it more but I did really enjoy it.



At the military museum, I had a unique experience. A man in a army uniform greets me and starts to ask me for some documentation before I can enter. I have not been carrying my passport but a copy of it. That day, for some reason, I had forgotten it in the hostel. So after I had to tell him "no" several times, I didn't think he would let me in. But to my surprise, he turned the keyboard my direction and told me to type my name, city, and country. He appeared to be breaking the rules but just wanted to be accommodating to me, which was very nice. Inside, I had to check my bag, which made me feel a little naked because I am so use to carrying my bag which contains my money, visa card, and few other essentials. I did get to keep my camera. I got it back with no problem when I left. Inside the military museum, there was a huge display of guns and other weapons beginning about 200 years ago. I felt quite ignorant when I learned that Colombia had been involved in the Korean War. They lost quite a few soldiers in the battles there according to the one whole room that was dedicated to Korean War. Also, lots of the weapons and tanks were made in the US.



Yesterday, on my meandering strolls, I found a decent looking restaurant that had some English on the menu. I opted for a seafood stew cooked in a clay pot and some lemonade. They then brought be a few salad, which I wondered if I should eat. I thought it seem like a sanitary enough place, so I did. The seafood was great but I think it was cooked with meat too. The lemonade was green in color. I suppose you all know that lemon in So. Am. countries are really what we call limes. And for that, I wondered about the water to make it. But I had no problems later.



Weather is very nice, cool and a little drizzle. My foot is better and I can walk ok, just takes a little more time than normal. Bogota is a very nice place to spend several days with lots to see. Traffic isn't too bad with all the modern conveniences that you could want. Some skyscrapers with nice architecture. You do see lots of homeless or very poor people on the street who generally don't bother you except to beg a little. The other day, they were handing out free bottles of some sort of drink and so I took one. Before I could finish drinking it, I saw a man eying it so I let him have it.
So, I am going to Cartagena on Tuesday. I may stay there until I leave Colombia, not sure yet.
i am sure I have bored most you. haha! Colombia, in my opinion seems safer than what I have read or seen. (I did see one demonstration downtown against the killing of bulls in bullfights).
Enjoy your time where ever you are.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Molly said...

Not boring in the least, quite riveting to me. I love all the details, prices, food, concerns, people, transportation info, photos, etc. Thanks. Your pix seems to capture so much of your travels, I liked the one of the people walking on the local street and the mountains in the background. Wow - stunning. You are not the least fazed by language differences; I am very envious. Good for you.

I am glad you are having a wonderful time, I look forward to the next installment. Buenos noches.