Saturday, August 13, 2011

Leaving Peru




Now I have finished my second week in Lima and getting ready to fly to Colombia. The second week at the school was more meaningful because I got to know the students and teachers better. I think all the students were very appreciative of our help. I often found that they could express themselves if given time but not always the correct accent or grammar. One student, Marco, got a scholarship to Colorado State Univ. and is flying there Monday. He will be there until December, so for one term.




One class was particularly meaningful to me. They always thought my jokes were funny and took very good notes. On the last day, they brought lots of small gifts to give to me, even though if I had known, I would have encouraged them not too. Some of the gifts were some typical Peruvian food of milk rice and purple corn which you eat together and it is very sweet. Some other gifts were Peruvian refrigerator magnet, key rings, coasters, small note pads and box of Arequipa Chocolate(famous in Arequipa). It was very moving and touching. Marco, who is very busy packing and doing last minute details before he flies to the US, couldn't stay for class so just came on Friday to bring his gift. I hope to stay in touch with some of these students via email now. On the last day of class we played Scrabble.







The school took us to a special place for lunch on Friday. We walked about 4 blocks to a small commercial area. This is where the school sells different things that they grow or raise. They had a fantastic butcher shop where you could buy alpaca, goat, beef, and cuy-guinea pig. The shop was like one I would see in the US, very clean and professional looking. They also had a great nursery for buying plants and flowers. At the restaurant, we were served a great lunch. I think I had alpaca grilled meat, very tender and quite good. The favorite thing to drink in Peru is Pisco Sours. I am not sure what is in this but the alcohol seems quite strong. I only had one even though the Pisco tastes great because they wanted me to try another drink, which I did, but only half. The other drink was sweeter and I guess a popular drink here too. The teachers all complimented me on my teaching and how much they learned from me, which I don't quite understand but I am very appreciative. They also said they will remember me because I always smiled. I thought that was nice. One of the teachers I worked with has a sister in Oregon, so I might keep in contact with her.




Now, almost everyone on the team has left. I don't leave for Colombia until 5:30 pm tonight so will stay at the hotel until about 2 pm. Only two other volunteers are here now, and they are from the Miami area.

Good trip so far, and nice to work with some young people who are trying to make a good life themselves and are good representatives of Peru.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forget to tell you that the teachers all said that my class after lunch would be the best class ever. (Because I was a little woozy from the Pisco Sour and other drink. Roger