Friday, June 1, 2012

Enjoying the local band

May 24, 2012

Things continue to be interesting and educational for me in Senchi Ferry.

Last Friday night, Pam and I decided to go to hear a local group play music near hear. We took the taxi. Before we got there, Pam wanted to buy chocolate which we were told as good and available in shop near the music gig. Getting out of the taxi, I could see the locals all selling their wares in a night market. Some of the sellers were just stand around with everything balanced on there head with amazing grace. This was also a place were the local "tro-tro's were stopping to acquire passengers or drop off riders. A tro-tro is a cheap transport for locals, a van that is constantly in motion on the main roads. You can just stand anywhere, flag down a tro-tro and tell them where you want to go, then pay them "cidi's- the local Ghanian money. It cost very little to ride the tro-tro and then don't try to cheat you. But you do have to hold your breath as some are safer than others , depending on the driver.

As I was snapping photos of the whole night market scene and Pam was buying chocolate bars, I hear someone yelling "Roger". I thought at first, it was a word that must sound like my name. Then, I thought who could know me here. After hearing it for the third time, I turned towards the sound. There sits a young man from Mr. Daniel's 7th grade class-David. I remembered him immediately and so I went up and talked to him for a bit. I was impressed that he remembered me.

In the meantime, Pam comes back with the chocolate bars that someone told her was going to be so good!! As we bite into them, the taste was far from divine.! haha! Kind of waxy taste, faded in color like it could be old. But it had to do in a pinch. Now we were headed for the open-air music concert.

The taxi driver pulled up next to the gas station. We walked around the back of the station where I saw about 5 musicians playing in one corner. There was a strobe light colorfully covering the dance floor. Beyond the dance floor, were tables and folding chairs for patrons like us. A large canopy covered the seating area. It was much better than we thought it was going to be.

Inside, we took a seat near the front of the dance floor. No one was dancing yet. A singer with a microphone was performing with the band but I could not understand a word, even though some of it was in English. The music as so loud I could barely have a conversation with Pam or Samuel who was with me. I gave Samuel some money to buy Malta or beer. I had read that lots of people like Malta, which is a sweet drink, which can be alcoholic or nonalcoholic. Samuel bought me a large quart bottle of beer and he drank the Malta. As we sat there, more people started to come and enjoy the music. They were all dressed sharply and into the music.

At first, no one was on the floor. Then gradually the men began to dance. Several were dancing with each other- not sure why the women were not dancing yet. One of the teachers I knew from the school was on the floor, and he asked me to dance with him. I gratefully obliged him, so then there were three of us guys dancing together. The only problem was the music went on and on and on! Finally, they decided we should sit down which I was grateful for.

Later, the women, not a lot of them, started to dance. One man was dancing with three women at once but they all seemed to be vying for his attention, and he was loving it. That was a show in itself. We stayed about two hours and then left. Back at my guesthouse, which was a least 10 minutes away by car, I could still here the music from the gas station. Haha! But it is quiet here and sound carries in the country I think.

Didn't great that night as I kept replaying the evening in my head and thinking about being here in this part of the world, so far from Portland.


- Posted while traveling the world

Location:Liver Pool Rd,Elmina,Ghana

No comments: