Thursday, June 7, 2012

Only a few more days left in Ghana

June 7, 2012


Today began as normal with breakfast, conversation, and then off to our perspective schools. Ann and I walked to the Methodist Jr. Hi. Today started out with Worship so all the upper grades congregated into one large room. Part of the service was given by a minister who had some visual aids to help the students follow the bible story. After the homily, some selected students started beating the drums and others came to the front of the room to dance and proclaim their deep faith. It was also at this time, that the collection plate was brought out.

After worship, I worked with Mr. Theophilus in one math class and one social studies class. Tomorrow the students will have a test so they have to bring their own paper or pay the teacher for a copy. The teacher will type the test.

After lunch, I walked back to the library. As usual Fredrick and his buddy Joseph came. Also, Mohammed who I met on my walk the day before. Mohammed had asked me for money so he could eat. I didn't give him money but I did ask him to come to the library so I was happy to see him. It has to be so difficult to learn when you are hungry. I did ask Samuel, the librarian, about him and he told me this is true.

Pam, our leader, took photos of all of us reading to the students in the library. Students were more than thrilled to pose for these photos. When I walked in the community, if I have my camera out, primary children ask me to take their photos and they are totally satisfied when I show them the photo.

After the library, I walked over to the only copy place in the village to get some copies printed of a few photos. I will pick them up tomorrow. From there, I decided to walk the long way home, I only walked a short distance, when a young woman comes out of a house yelling my name. I was in her class today and she wanted to know if I would be there tomorrow. So tomorrow, I will have to look for Barbara. Next to her house, was a young boy working a rather old loom. He told me he was making "kente cloth". It looked beautiful. He is really the first one I saw with a loom in the community. Then down the road, outside a church, there was brass band practicing. I think there were 5 young men with trombones trying to create music. They were working with a teacher but it sounded like this might be there first lesson.

I continued walking down the road which has light traffic when I hear someone yelling my name. I look back and see a man far away. I can't really see his face but I then started towards him. He starts running towards me with his machete and black rubber boots. I try to walk faster saving him some steps. Then I recognize him; it is Mr. Seth the headmaster of the private school. He joins me on my walk because he is going to his farm to check on the crops. I wanted to see his farm, but he said I was not dressed properly as I had on short pants, so we parted ways. As I continued on, I saw two groups washing there "tro-tro's in unique ways. One tro-tro was parked on a slope, with all the doors wide open. The driver was splashing buckets of water inside the van. Another tro-tro group was collecting water from the large stagnant puddles near the road but washing the outside of the van. Neither had a faucet with a hose which would make this task easier.

Finally, as I neared the guest house, I saw several men working on making a wood coffin. He was using a plane to shape and smooth the lid of the coffin. Maybe it was a coffin that was going to be used soon.

Thought for the day : Winding down but still trying to maintain energy until the end.






- Posted while traveling the world

No comments: