Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rome...

I was all packed and waiting for my VNese brother Tuan who arrived at the house at 10:30 am, per our agreement. Next I was going to check in with Lufthansa Airlines; then I  would have time for a nice leisurely coffee and lunch with him before departing. Didn't happen. I decided to take a photo while in line. Turn on my camera and got a message "no memory card". I immediately open my suitcase, thinking it was in there. No, I had left it on the computer table at home. I asked Tuan to go home and get it-on advantage of living near the airport-and I would checkin and wait for him. It seemed like it took him longer than normal but finally he got back. Now, only time to get a sandwich and coffee "to go" for him. After I got through security, and found the gate, they were loading. No time to spare!

The flight to Frankfurt was smooth and only 9 hours. We took the polar route, over Greenland.  Some seats were empty, maybe 10%. Lots of Germans and Russians on board.  The food was good, and lots of free alcohol, even hard liquor. I drank a German beer called War?????? The man next to me was from Frankfurt, and he works for solar energy company.  He came to Portland to help promote his company. 

Frankfurt airport is old and seemed disorganized.  Even on the connecting flight, you have to go through security again, which took about an hour because, they seem to stop for no reason. A woman cut in front of me just as I was getting to the front, insisting that she would miss her flight if she had to wait at the back of the line. I  begrudgingly let her in, wondering later if she made it. The most interesting thing about the airport was these small kid-like bikes, that messengers ride around in. That looked pretty efficient. 

The flight to Rome as only about 75 minutes.  I thought having direction arrows on the floor was a great method, as I easily found the baggage area. Next, I found the Leonardo Express to the Central train station in Rome. The ticket was 11 euros, which, I think, is about $14 + .  One place tried to sell me a slightly higher ticket but I had researched the price before leaving Portland. This train reminded me of Portland's MAX. For example, you have to validate your ticket and most of the machines didn't work. Familiar??? And the name is truly a misnomer. It was slow, stopping only once at the central terminal. But at least this was a sure way for me to get to the right place, as my hostel is only two blocks from the terminal.  My view from the window of the train wasn't great, but I did see some small nurseries or farms, with lots of green grass and palm trees. It looked like Oregon. 

The hostel is nice. It is 25 euros per night, and I will stay here two nights. I just bought my train ticket for Saturday. This will be a bullet train, so we will see if this one is really speedy..Ha!! I am tired, as I didn't sleep much yet. I am hoping to sleep ok in my co-ed dorm room . True!! 

I hope to take a half day tour tomorrow. The traffic doesn't look too bad but the cars are definitely different. Lots of motorbikes, smart cars, and other odd vehicles. 

I know this is a boring start, and it might be the sane each time.. Just my thoughts....


1 comment:

sherryvl said...

Well I am glad you made it fine...your adventures never cease to amaze me. giggle..love this site..have fun now and take carem Sherry