Sunday, January 9, 2011

Border Crossing

My last day in China proved to be a real travel learning experience.






I wanted to change hotels on the last day because I worried that my local hotel might present some problems getting to the airport. But Julie assured me that the school would take me to the airport, albeit it was early. I only agreed to this plan after Julie told me she also would come to the airport, as the driver spoke no English.






Friday morning, at 6:20 am, I was waiting confidently in the lobby. A few minutes later, Julie called the hotel so say she was "running" to the hotel and would be there shortly. Again, I tried to remain calm even though I didn't see the driver and car. Julie arrived, and said we would have to go across the street to the school to get the driver and car. Of course the driver was not ready, but after a few minutes, we were off. Luckily at this time of day, the traffic was light. My goal was to get to the airport by 7 AM for an 8:20 AM flight. At the airport, Julie came in to help me find the right line to get my ticket. By the time I got to my gate, it was almost time for boarding so no extra time. The security and ticketing at the airport before boarding always seems to be a stressful experience.

The plane should have taken off on time but there was some problem with the passenger near the exit door. The airline staff never announced the cause of the delay, but finally, after about 30 minutes, we took off. Now, I felt I could relax.

I flew to Shenzhen, which is still in China, then I bought a bus ticket to Kowloon, which is the northern part of Hong Kong. I could have flown directly to Hong Kong, but this route would save me money and time, plus I thought I would see more on the bus.






About half way to Kowloon, you have to get off the bus to go through Customs and Immigration. Even though Hong Kong is a part of China, they have special status and so it is like entering another country. Everyone has to get off the bus and take all their belongs and go through Customs.

So, with my two bags, I walk towards the checkpoint. I already knew that I need to find a blank departure card because I didn't have mine. Next, I could see that the lines were long and saw that their was only one line for "foreigners"! As I waited in line, I worried that the bus wouldn't wait for me, but that was soon to be a moot question. I was slowing getting closer to the front and thinking it would be just routine.

Finally, I handed my passport to the official. He looked for the page that contained the China visa, then asked me what day I entered China. I told him Dec. 4, and he sort of stared at me. Then he told me to wait. Next another official came over to look at my passport. Finally, one of them told me I had overstayed my visit. I thought that was impossible. My Visa was good for one year. I had not read the fine print. True, it was good for one year, but only for 30 days at a time. I have never knew this.

So now I was taken to a special glass cage!! There were others in here too and all seemed to be stressed. I was told nothing, just to wait. Slowly, as if to increase your stress, they took each person out of the room. Finally, I was waiting alone. Next, they came and brought me to another glass room but saying nothing. I thought about asking but I thought that might actually hurt my case. I began to think about where the Am. Embassy might be. Ha!!

Also, I knew by now, my bus had left. And Johannes, who had told me he would meet me in Kowloon, needed to be notified. I decided to ask someone to use their phone to call Johannes. This couple who were with me, were speaking another language, but I asked them. I found out they were Taiwanese and they glad replied. I told Johannes that I was not in Jail yet but didn't feel very free!! Johannes thought I would have to just pay a fine. This sounded ok but I worried what currency they would take. I didn't have a lot of Chinese RMB and some USD and a Visa CC.

Finally, Felicia came to speak to me. She spoke excellent English. I again explained as calmly as I could that I thought my Visa was good for one year!! No one ever told me about the 30 day rule. I showed them my other Visas that never had anything more than a beginning and end day. This was a first for me. I even gave them my best "sob story". I told then I had volunteered in China and paid my own money to do this!! She was very interested and sympathetic. The normal fine for overstay is 500 RMB, which is over 50 USD. But If I agreed to never do this again, I could just sign a warning paper, and leave. I was happy to do this and always remember to check and double check all future Visas!!

Now, this delay cost me over one hour, and it seemed like about 4 hours. I finally left China, then went through HK customs without a hitch. Finally, I looked for a new bus and met Johannes in Kowloon. We went out for dinner and beer. I collapsed on his couch/bed so quickly that I don't remember anything after I closed my eyes.

Live and learn.









- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: