Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Leaving Hong Kong

I have been in Hong Kong now for several days and enjoying the luxury accommodations of Johannes place. And the very pleasant weather. Not necessarily looking forward to the cold in Portland but I am looking forward to being home. This has been a good trip with only a few complications, so thankful for that.

Hong Kong is a very upscale place, a little like New York City, or San Francisco. It is was formerly a British colony only to be turned over to China in 1997. It seemed to be island with lots of small mountains. Coming in the bus, I could see lots of work being down to avoid small landslides and erosion. Where they can build, they have built straight up, one building after another, kind of like dominos all lined up in a row. I am not sure what would happen here if there was an earthquake. I think they would all topple.



I have been using the MTR train/subway. It reminds me a little what it was like in Washington DC. Johannes gave me an "octopus" card, which entitles me to ride anywhere, just swipe the card. So, I have been exploring.



Yesterday, I rode to the end where there is a cable car ride to the top of the mountain. I chose to ride in a glass bottom car, so you can see down into the forrest while you ride up. It is about a 25 minuter ride. I was a little nervous, as I was with all Chinese who seemed a little too relaxed as they moved about the car. I worried that maybe it would bounce too much and cause a problem. Also, the employers were checking the cable before we got on, so this too made me think negatively. But we made it to the top. On the way up, you can see a path used by monks to walk up to the top. I think it must take them at least one day to walk to the top. At the top, you can still walk up to get a closer view of the Buddha, but I didn't.



On the way back on the MTR, I went to another area to ride the ferry. There are several old ferries here, that work in conjunction with the MRT. There are several ferries that go to different places but I chose the one that I thought was close to where I was staying. It was a nice ride on the water and water looks clean. After about 30 minutes, got off. Now to find Johannes place.



I looked for signs of MTR but saw none. I have no problem asking strangers for directions, but so far they all told me there was no MTR near here. I thought I had plenty of time to walk so I just asked them for the general direction. Finally, someone told me the way. I began walking but the streets didn't go straight, so as I walked it curved around. I found myself walking through apartments and playgrounds to keep my direction straight. Finally, I found a man who was going to the MTR also, so we walked together. It ended up not to be that far.



Hong Kong is really a Shopping Mecca. Stores and Malls everywhere. Not sure what all these people do for work, but they must have good jobs. Things are expensive in HK and they use a different currency than China. Figure that one out!!

Ok, now this might be my last blog for a while, as I will be leaving for home tonight.. Hope you enjoy some of my travels.... Happy Trails to all!!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: