Thursday, January 6, 2011

Leaving Xi'an



I spent one week visiting the college I volunteered at in March. After I left in March, I kept in contact with two students and a teacher by email. I thought because I was in Kunming already, I might as well visit Xi'an again before heading to Hong Kong. The two students had written to me many times and seemed excited about my return but warned me to bring some warm clothes. I would soon realize how prophetic that would be. These students also planned to met me at the airport, which they had never beebread too. I admired their initiative. When the head English teacher heard about this, she suddenly took control. Right before my flight, her email stated that she had arranged for the school car to pick me and the boys up. She also said that I could stay at the hotel across from the school. Because I wasn't sure of the cost at the hotel, I thought I could stay at the dorm. I would decide after I arrived.

As I left the baggage area in Xi'an, I look out to a sea of faces all anxious waiting for someone, some holding name signs. Yet, I immediately spotted David and Daniel waving to me and smiling. (I gave them Am. Names). Within minutes we were getting into the car Julia, the head English teacher had arranged. About 30 minutes later, we were at the school. I survey the dorm situation and the hotel. In my heart I wanted to stay at the dorm but my mind and my need for certain basic conventions overruled this idea. I opted for the hotel, which had heat, a decent bed, good bathroom, and some basic cleanness.



The school is located in the western part of the city, far from the nucleus. It is not in the country, but quite distinct from the real heart of the city. Yes there are supermarkets, restaurants, and other shops, but they all look the same and very local. The hotel staff couldn't speak any English and didn't seem to understand sign language when I tried to explain that there was no hot water. Occasionally, during the night there were power outages, which was explained by a knock on the door, some two minutes of Chinese which I did not understand, and then a return knock, saying that the power was back on.



The students often cameo my room to visit during the day and evening. They worried about me constantly. They always thought was starving and insisted on buying food and never let me pay. I think it was some of this "authentic" local food that did me in for several days. I could still function but I had a few too many trips to the comfort room. One time I remember eating food that they bought for dinner from somewhere on the street and I swear the vegetables were still frozen. Now, admittedly, it was very cold outside everyday, but because they were eating them and not saying anything, I didn't either. These students were very good to me. They bought bowls, cups, chopsticks, fruit, bread, cake, soup, noodles, meat, and gifts. I tried so many times to pay or do something for them, but they would out maneuver me every time. I know they don't have much money either, but give whatever they have.



Now, I also had a lot time to help Daniel and David plus other students with their English. David could hardly say one sentence in English before, and now he could carry on a basic conversation. I am hoping that their English will improve their chances of getting a better job. So many of these students have this American dream-to come to the U.S.-yet their own country, in the big cities, is not any different than America. China has everything and more. It is surprising tome how westernized China is.



A good example of this was one day I told them I hadn't had any sweet potatoes which they sell on the street cheap. I could eat this safely and it might taste better than some of the other food I had(I didn't tell them that). So we walk behind the dorm, where a man and his wife have a small street shop. Outside is a burn barrel, with charcoal or wood at the bottom and the potatoes roasting at the top. The man picks out about 4 of his best potatoes for us to choose from. I thought I would buy two. He immediately shoves two more in my hand and refuses my money. I don't know this man at all. I have never seen him before. He is living in the barest conditions behind his shop. I might be his only customer today. Next, his wife brings me a bag of cookies. Again, this is a gift. They instead in not taking any money in the strongest way. They have just heard from the students about me coming back to visit the school. Maybe this is why I like so many of the places and the people that I visit. Maybe there is a life lesson here.




Next to the sweet potatoes, there are several cement pingpong tables. Also, they have a row of bricks to serve as the net. Definitely a permanent structure for the outside elements. I see about four boys playing and I know Daniel likes to play. This is the first day that the sun has shined and so students have decided to use them. I told Daniel that I wanted to play so after eating my two sweet potatoes, I walked down and grabbed a paddle. Of course, they all thought it would be great fun to play me. I am not that good but I like to play. And I hadn't played in a while, but I must of looked fairly decent as I could hear some "ah's" and comments albeit in Chinese. After playing several students, the sweet potato man, who was so shy a few minutes before, now wanted to play pingpong with me. I knew that meant he was good, so we played several spirited minutes and he was smiling the whole time. I enjoyed it too. For the first time in many days, I felt almost warm!! Haha!!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: