Friday, May 8, 2009

Finished School.



School ended yesterday. I didn't think I would get as attached to these students but in the end it was quite emotional. I had some great students who seemed to listen to my every word. These students were so open and honest, and friend. When I walked into each room this week, students who I had worked with the week before, would make eye contact with me and immediately start moving the desks so we could sit in one corner of the room. These students are very physical with me and other students. They think nothing of hugging me and the teachers would often kiss me on both cheeks-both male and female teachers. In between classes, student couple could be seen kissing and making out without any concern for the other 100 or so around. It is quite different than Am. students. It is very acceptable.

I also visited the elementary school. The school is near the high school and the principal's wife teaches at the high school. Elementary school is grades 1-5 with middle school grades 6-8. Classes are small, maybe about 20 students in each class. Their school day is the same as the high school, from 8:15-1:30pm. Students in the elementary school wear uniforms.

Last night, there was a small party at the hotel for the English teachers and the volunteers. We had like a cocktail hour with champagne. After dinner, the school gave us each a small ceramic napkin holder made in Cisternino with a rooster on the front. It is quite nice.

I also created a slide show on my laptop that made everyone viewed they thought it was very nice. They all want copies.

Now, tomorrow, Saturday, I am going back to Rome on the train. I have made reservations for a convent in Rome at 42 Euros per night. I will see how that works out. It looks good on the web so hopefully ok....

I hope I sleep good tonight.

1 comment:

Amiga Janice said...

I can't believe your two weeks are already up! It's fun to hear your experiences. I especially liked how the kids were so eager to see you each day--not so much in the US! ;-) Enjoy your time in Rome and keep me posted on your travels.