Saturday, May 2, 2009

Train trip to Leece



This morning some of us took the train from Cisternino to Leece. Four of us walked to the train station, which was a brisk 30 minutes but the weather was great. The train arrived about 5 minutes late, which was not bad. Our train ride was an hour and half through the countryside- Beautiful flowering poppies, grave vineyards, and olive trees. The train stopped in about 10 stations but moved quickly. The train was quite new.

In Leece, we had another short walk to the historical center. It was quite busy with other Italian tourists, reminding me of Rome. This city's name has something to do with a wolf, and at one time, might have been a Greek territory. Inside the city there were many very nice old churches and Roman ruins dating back to the 6th century.

The train ride back was interesting. I had left the group and alone when I decided to take the train back. So, I had ask someone about which track to wait at. And you always have to validate your ticket too. The train was to stop at track 7 but then suddenly it came to track 5. Then of course, you have to make sure you are on the right train, as they were not marked. But then 3 other volunteers arrived too, so we all went back together. Everything was running smoothly, but then the train stopped at a small station, told us all to get off. Now this was only a two car train train and we are the only 4 passengers. For some reason, we had to wait.. After about 25 minutes, we were told to get back on the train, and off we go. At first I thought we were going to switch trains, but that didn't happen. So, we arrived back to Cisternino about 25 minutes late. But it was a great day. I have been drinking a lot of wine-Suppose to be good for your heart.!!

The hotel has been great. The other volunteers are good to be with so everything is going smoothly... Caio.....

1 comment:

sherryvl said...

Hi Roger..sounds like all is going well I'm glad your finally teaching like you wanted...they say the swine flu thing is dieing down some, but we do have a few cases in S.Wisconsin..none fatal that I heard of..as I read your blog, I am thinking the hardest thing for me to learn and u seem to adapt so quickly is the money exchange, and getting directions..I'm glad your doing some sight-seeing also..love your blog, love, Sherry