Saturday, May 16, 2009

Home...where to begin



I slept in my own bed last night for the first time in weeks. It felt good but my sleep is messed up and will probably remain that way for at least this next week.  I had a great trip and this will also probably be my last blog for a while. I plan to stay home for the next few months. It is always good to travel but good to be home too..

My Friday morning flight from Rome started with a jolt...and it was caffeine from a cappuccino! I was so afraid that I would oversleep and miss my 4 am taxi, that I slept very sporadically Thursday night, constantly checking the time. When the alarm did ring, I must have been asleep as I shot up, falling out of bed, actually tipping the bed frame over.  I probably woke up my neighbors. Thank goodness I didn't break the bed! 

At 3:50 AM, the taxi that the convent had arranged arrived. After I got in the cab, I discussed the 35 euros that the nun said he would charge. Of course, that was wrong, so then we had to agree on a price. I knew it should be more because of the early hour, so after a brief negotiation he agreed to take 40.  I only had a few extra euros with me, as I was leaving the country.  After the driver got out of the main area of the city, we got on a two lane highway of sorts, and it was petal to the metal all the way. Yes, there was no traffic at this hour, but I felt like we were in NASCAR race.  If we crashed, I wouldn't have to worry about the flight. Ha!! At one point, I looked over at his speedometer, which read 200 KMH!! That is 125 MPH!! An this was an older station wagon type vehicle. I don't think he was mad at me because of the price; only in a hurry to get me to the airport and get his next customer. I got the the airport in 20 minutes. I got my money's worth!!

Inside, it was virtually  deserted.  It was 4:15 am. I found the Lufthansa checkin counter and waited for someone to show up.  A steward arrived about 4:45 am so I checked in. I tried to ask her about my connecting flight time, but she assured me that I had plenty of time. I didn't feel like she really wanted help me; Maybe it was just too early in the morning.  On board, I found a more friendlier steward, who showed me on a airport map where my connecting gate was and how to get there. My main concern was that I only had 70 minutes and if I had to go through passport and security clearance too, I might not make my flight. Lufthansa actually schedules flights with as little as 30 minutes in between connections. Now that would be a disaster in the U.S. Also, I was nervous because my other experience in Frankfurt was that I needed at least 2 hours.  I just had to wait and let nature run its course.

As I deplaned, I again asked at the counter about the connecting gate. I was told which way to go and where to find the lift. (I had forgotten that lift is elevator).  I overshot the elevator and had to backtrack, and then the elevator skipped my floor, but I finally got on the right level. And then I arrived with about 30 minutes to spare. I could relax, for now.. 

My flight was good, only about 10 hours using the Polar route. Portland it was sunny and about 70 degrees. Now, it is just a matter of deciding which project to start on first. Ha!!  Or deciding where to go next. ??  

I forgot to tell you about my visit to the Catacombe di Priscilla in Rome. I got directions from the tourist information office, but they didn't exactly tell you the specific location. So when I asked the bus driver, he told me where to get off and which direction to walk. Well, he was wrong so I ended up walking about 3 km more than necessary but it is all about the adventure. At the catacombs, I joined a tour group of about 20, mostly Polish nuns and a German couple, but the tour was in English. 

The underground cemetery was fascinating. There were 3 levels, and a labyrinth of tunnels, very dark and cool. It is not for the claustrophobic. Inside, there are no bones, but there were unopened graves, original tombstones and other different artifacts. Some of the tombstones were as far back as the 4 century. Different graves sizes for adults, children, and infants. In the end, the guide got tired, so he turned off the lights as a joke, which was slightly scary. Otherwise, it was well worth going to..... fascinating history. Enough!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend...Cheers!!

1 comment:

pleasenotforgetme said...

Hello Dad Roger,I am excited to follow your step back asian nation, yes i could tell you at the moment everything is changing over here,espeacialy in viet nam,the stylelife is higher up,evrything has raised up the price, that would be difficult to spend days..I hope that you would not mad at this..finally i wish you are happy and healthy. Enjoy your time. Your son Dung