Monday, May 11, 2009

Getting Around in Rome



Sunday morning I went to 10 am Mass at Santa Maria Maggiore church. It is a huge church with lots of mosaics inside. Before Mass, the priests had some sort of prayer session, at least I think they were priests. They were all dressed in red, but I don’t think they were cardinals. There are huge marble pillars everywhere and lots domed ceilings. The gold on the alter was very noticeable too.


During Mass, the men’s choir or they could have been all priests, sounded beautiful. I was kind of like I was back 50 years ago, as I couldn’t tell the latin from the Italian. Amazingly, I could remember some of the latin responses. About 10 priests on the alter too, so like a high Mass. It was very cool inside too, with lots of tourists attending.


The convent, il Rosario, is working out great. My room is small, but very clean, quiet, and safe. I am lucky to get this place as it is all full now. There is a group of 20 here on tour, but I think they have about 40 rooms. In the morning, you get free breakfast too. I can lockup my valuables during the day also. This is close to the center of Rome, near Trevi fountain, and the Termini. During the last 2 days, I have done a lot of walking as it is quite easy to get around on foot. Tomorrow, I plan to use the bus and Metro, as I bought a 3 day Roma pass for 23 euros, which lets you in to two museums free. On Monday, most museums are closed, so I took the open tour bus where you can hop on and off all day. This bus takes you around to 11 different places, like St. Peter’s, the Repubblica, and Piazza Venezia. I think it is a good way to get your bearings and learn something too. You listen to a headset about each place. The double decker bus gives you a great view too.


I also got my laundry done today, at the nearby laundrymat. It cost 6 euros, which was a lot cheaper than it was in Cisternino. So now I think I am set until I get home.


Traffic can be heavy and frenetic in Rome. I have not seen an accident yet which baffles me because of the way they drive. Many people drive fast and fearless. And traffic gets back up, more so in the afternoon. There is some horn honking but not a lot. If you are crossing the street, you generally have to give way to the car, as they generally don’t stop. Today, I saw a bus driver make a left turn, only to be met head on by a taxi, maybe about 2 feet from impact. The bus driver waited for the taxi to back up. He started yelling at the taxi driver. I couldn’t hear the taxi guy, but he didn’t budge. Then the bus driver turns off his bus and they both sit in their vehicles. In the meantime, traffic is backing up in both directions. Horns blaring. After 5 minutes, the taxi driver backs up a little then turns to go around the bus. (it would have been much easier for the taxi cab to back up than the bus driver. )


Ok, I know this isn’t much news, but I am fine. Tomorrow, I hope to go to the Vatican and St. Peters... Ciao......

1 comment:

Two Goats on the GO said...

I am loving your blogs, when we were in Rome in one day we saw for accidents involving motorcycles. Fortunately none of them looked to serious.