Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Getting to Nha Trang.

I had arranged for a motorbike driver, the man with the bloodshot eyes, to take me to the wharf where I would take the fast boat back to Saigon. As time was getting close, i called him but no answer. I decided then I would have to find another ride, so I took all my stuff to the curb. An older guy, who speaks no English wants to take me so to make sure I show him my boat ticket. His price is higher but cheaper than the taxi. I get there will about 10 minutes to spare, thankful their is not airport like screening. haha!
(Photo: Coffee lady and the nice young man I met in VungTau who took me to lunch and coffee)


The boat is full and the man next to me is from Taipei. He has businesses in VN since about 1993. We have a nice conversation and it helps to pass the time even though it is only 90 minutes. Debarking in SGN, the mob scene begins. Everyone wants your business. You just have to plow through and keep saying No . I did need to get a ride to the airport now, but I didn't have to leave yet. I watched two taxi drivers get in a physical fight which is unusual I think. I now began walking into a business area that I knew quite well in hopes of finding a cafe and possibly a battery charger for my camera. My bag isn't heavy but after a while it still wears on me, plus my game leg. I find the coffee cafe, sit for a bit to get recharged, then decide I can look for a ride. I walk by a smaller camera shop and decide to inquire about my charger. I show my battery and she tells me she has one. I am AMAZED.. and she demonstrates it for me. And not to bad a price. Wow! I serious doubt that they would have this charger in all of Portland. Now, with this mission accomplished, I forge on to look for a ride to the airport.
(Photo: rain in SGN and rush hour traffic)


I did contemplate going by moto and a few asked me but it was beginning to rain and rush hour, so the taxi was my best option. Within minutes, I flag one down from a well know company in VN. This driver couldn't understand a word I said. Difficult to believe, because most taxi drivers know some Eng.
I had to show him my ticket. So off we go like a herd of turtles. It seems like it takes forever but after a while I recognize the road. Then my next challenge was getting him to take me to the domestic terminal, not the Int'l. one. Finally, I end up reading the road signs and directing him. But I did very good on the price, with the meter running. Only $6 USD.
(Photo: my street breakfast place in NT)


My flight to Nha Trang was smooth and almost on time. Nha Trang has a new Int'l airport now. (not sure why it is int'l because I don't know any out of country flights that fly in-maybe in the future). My friend Mr. Dung, was there to meet me. He lives in NT. Now, it was past 9 pm and the airport is about 90 minutes from the city. Because Dung has to get petrol for his moto we take a different route back to NT. This is the same route that most bus and trucks use to go to SGN and there is heavy traffic at night leaving NT. We found ourselves staring into so many headlights and passing buses and trucks, forcing us to the shoulder so many times, even that giving us little breathing room. Dung is used to it but I thought we couldn't get there soon enough. After an hour of this, we were finally on a better road.
(Photo: my evening drink in a better upscale place in NT. haha)


In NT, the hotel Dung booked was nice, quiet, and safe. I slept good for at least 5 hours, which was rest enough.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: