Saturday, April 30, 2011

Leaving Nha Trang for the Wedding

I bought a bus ticket for Saigon in Nha Trang. The bus picked me up at the hotel at 7:45 am and I was the first one to get on. The bus progeeded to circle the city until it had most of its passengers. This is actually a sleeper bus so there are 3 rows of single seat/recliner type beds, double-decker. Mine is right behind the driver and after 5 hours, they will switch to a different driver.

The bus follows a lot of the way along the ocean, also known as Highway 1 in VN. The only stop is half way at Phan Thiet. At Phan Thiet, the bus stops for 30 minutes for lunch. I switch to lower bed but still right behind the driver. The driver is good but the road is has so much traffic and only two lanes, hence , anyone trying to make time, will try to pass, and our bus included. At one point, the bus passed a slow moving truck. At the same time another bus behind us decided to pass the slow moving truck but on the shoulder. Sitting in the front, I had a clear view of this and held my breath, praying for the best. There many crucial traffic maneuvers along the way.

Now, I planned to get off before Saigon, and i had given the driver the address. I know the stop but it is a little hard to find going fast and now the two drivers were arguing about the exact place. I had my map out, trying to help and not distract the driver. After one false stop, we found it. I thanked the drivers and collected my bag, walked a few steps, only to see Binh, the father of the groom and my neighbor in Portland, was standing outside a house waiting for me with open arms. It was a very warm welcoming.

Now, for the wedding.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: