Sunday, April 24, 2011

Visiting Vung Tau

I am about to leave VungTau and go back to Saigon, then fly immediately to Nha Trang. My visit here has been relaxing and no problems at the hotel except for them not understanding any English. My "game leg" continues to be slowing healing, I think so this causes me to move slowly and limit my distance. My other minor problem is that I realized I forget my battery charger for my camera. So soon my camera will be dead. My mission today is to see if I can replace it, but I think the uniqueness will make it difficult.











I met Mai, a teacher friend here in VungTau, in 2000, my first time in VT, and we have kept in touch now for 12 yrs. She found me my hotel which is close to her house. I could walk if I knew the way but there are so many turns down back alleys, it has been impossible for me to remember. Her husband, Son, is an architect and a nice guy but knows very little English.
I had lunch with Mai and her family several times, and then we went out for coffee too.







Mai teaches English at the high school and also at home, so one day, I visited her and talked to her home class. Students were very nice and still ask me the same questions. haha! Even though they all study English in hi sch. very few can speak it. Hi Sch. here is for 3 yrs, so grades 10, 11, and 12. Students pay money to attend class with Mai and home, but I don't know how much. Mai receives 3 million dong a month, (153 USD) and she has been teaching for over 12 yrs. Not much.. but the pay is different for each school.







Mai has two young daughters so she also teaches a class for neighborhood kids on Sunday for them. This class is pretty wild and I did try to help her with them yesterday. Her daughter, Phuong, is so full of life and energy so she keeps the class going constantly. But it is fun. Phuong, even though she has only met me a few times, and now 6 yrs old, came to greet me with a huge hug and a greet smile. Her English limited but I think she will be good in a few years. I watched one day when Son, the dad, was trying to feed both daughters lunch. They all sit on the floor, and he almost force feeds them spoonful by spoonful until the bowl of rice, veggies, and meat is finished. It is a very common practice in Asia for parents to spoon feed their children. I am not sure when it stops, but Phuong could definitely be eating on her own now.






One afternoon, I spent the afternoon touring the city on the back of the motorbike. This driver was the same as the one I used going from the boat to the hotel. Mr. Quang seems to be a very quiet but well spoken guy with an 18 yr. old son in the army. His driving is good; my only concern is his red, blood shot eyes. I decided not to ask him about it. He took me to the White Palace, the former home of the Chinese King who ruled VN in the 1600's. Lots of furniture and pottery is displayed in various rooms during this time. We also rode along the newer beach area. This used to be a large fishing area that now embraces huge 5 star resorts and expensive looking seafood restaurants. There are some cruise liners that park here now too. Several nice churches and huge pagodas here too. Most of the old fishing places are gone. One place was a shipyard, where they repair and build huge ships. Most of the repair still looks like it is hand done but some machinery.



I had coffee with Mr. Viet, an uncle of a family I know in Portland. I met Viet 9 years ago, so I called him and asked if we could have coffee. He was at first reluctant but then we agreed on a time. He is about my age and speaks excellent English. I remember being impressed with him in 2002, but I was even more so this time. When he was 16 yrs, old, he had to drop out of school and became a houseboy for the US troops in VT. Then after a year, he joined the So. VNese army. His English is impeccable and like a walking encyclopedia. He vocabulary is excellent. Often, he would say a word, then demonstrate how the VNese pronounce and how Am. pronounce it. He remembers exact dates, like when Liz Taylor, Elvis, and Kennedy died. He can give you exact numbers for the Am. debt, amount spent of defense for most counties like US, Russia, and VN. He will discuss politics but always afraid somehow his words might endanger him. I am so glad we got together.

I know this is all quite unexciting but I am enjoying these days. It is hot but not unbearable. Take care all. I hope you all had a Wonderful Easter.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: